Wednesday, February 16, 2011

When Do You Own Your Own Body?

I was walking through Walmart yesterday, trying to find cheap sunglasses, when I hear the scream of a small child. Normally this really doesn't bother me but this kid was in serious pain and I feel that its an American injustice on little girls.  This kid was hardly past being a fetus! She was tiny and screaming her head off while her mother(I assume) is holding her and the Walmart lady with the ear gun is puncturing her small lobes. The reasons this bothers me moves far past the little girl's pain and into my feminist realm. First, she was just born! She can't speak her wishes or express her desires in any other way than crying. Second, why would a woman work so hard to birth and child and then cause it pain, this doesn't make sense to me. Lastly, this has a connection to the motivation of FGM. Yes this is a less sexual version of a sexualized mutilation, but it is still a female child being mutilated for appearance and later attractiveness. The pierced ears on female infants is a marker of femininity. Pain is femininity? So how does this not fuck up society?

No comments:

Post a Comment