Monday, February 21, 2011

Misogynistic Men on Mondays: Justin Bieber!

Everyone should've known I'd be doing a piece on him after that Rolling Stone article he did. It's sad to see hair that good on a head that stupid.
If by some act of "god" you haven't heard what the 12 er 16 year old popstar said about abortion and rape and sex before marriage:

 "I don't think you should have sex with anyone unless you love them," Bieber says. When asked if he believes in abstinence until marriage, Bieber – who is reportedly dating fellow teen star Selena Gomez – seems wary: "I think you should just wait for the person you're...in love with."

So...the Biebs doesn't believe in waiting for marriage, which I can accept. But honestly just page through the Rolling Stone article and "god" comes up a lot. Which makes this viewpoint rather convienent especially since he has a girlfriend.

"I really don't believe in abortion," Bieber says. "It's like killing a baby." How about in cases of rape? "Um. Well, I think that's really sad, but everything happens for a reason. I don't know how that would be a reason. I guess I haven't been in that position, so I wouldn't be able to judge that."

I don't know many people who believe in abortion, I may but I'm different. "It's like killing a baby," No, its like extracting a tapeworm. "Baby" is an abstract concept of a post-natal fetus and is not a technical medical term.  But hell, he did have a song called "Baby" and it did repeat the word rather frequently, maybe its all he knows. But really the tapeworm is a parasite much like a human embryo or fetus and cannot survive outside of a host.

J Biebs says that rape is really sad.(na duh) But then "everything happens for a reason." WTF! Yes, I am a strong believer of Fate, but for someone to pretty much say that god decided you needed to be raped so that it would further his plan is bullshit! And I agree Bieber hasn't been in that position, he doesn't (as far as we know) have a uterus and vagina which could be raped and impregnanted. He also gives us no clear indication that he would never rape or hurt a woman, for all we know it would be god's plan for something like that to happen.

So yeah, I'm not all that happy with Justin Bieber. His songs are alright, I guess. But he has what the Virginian Pilot called "unpopular opinions." It's not that these are just unpopular, they are uneducated. I don't believe that we should discount a 16 year olds opinions because of their age, but I doubt he really has opinions.  It feels more like he is repeating what he has heard and doesn't know how to comprehend the complexities of his answers. He's against abortion and wants to portray being against it, but few Lifers will even say they say pregnancy as a result of rape is "meant to be."

My issue is really he's a guy thinking he has a say on women's bodies. I dont care if the kid was his from the girl the thought he was in love with and subsequently coerced into sex, he has no right to tell her she can't abort it. Plus Bieber has a huge teenage girl following and many of these girls do not have the own opinions either and he has most likely influenced many of them to believe that abortion is wrong and that rape isn't a crime. The day he became an icon, he was given a huge amount of social responsibility and he's not using it the way he should.

2 comments:

  1. I think everyone is taking this whole Justin Bieber anti-choice thing a little too far. Kids his age don't have their own opinions yet. His mother probably doesn't believe in abortion either. Though, I am not discounting anything you said, I doubt that the Biebs is actually informed enough to have an opinion. As you said, the main issue I'm worried about as he says he "doesn't believe in aboortion," is the fact that most of the teenie-bops obsessed with him don't have a mind of their own either, and Justin is considered a "God" in many of their eyes and I'm sure more than just a few girls took what he said to heart.

    Bottom line, the last thing Justin Bieber is thinking about right now is abortion and rape. This is just the media's way of cultivating controversy and feeding the pro-life/pro-choice debate. Not to mention, all the copies of that issue they'd sell, first to the little girls obsessed with him, and second, to the people who don't even care about Rolling Stone (i.e. those avid pro-life/pro-choicers).

    ReplyDelete