Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Comedians are NOT funny...

I often hear, mostly by my roommate, that I don't like fun.  Well I don't. I'm a feminist and its a fulltime political, religious and personal identity.  At my first college Southwest MN State University I went to two different comedians and both left me outraged. I didn't laugh. Being the type of feminist that I am I have often as of late felt ambivalence towards my sexual orientation(bisexual). I don't feel that I should like men, I hate most of them, but attraction's a tricky thing.  But thats not the point.  This was 4 years ago when I was first coming out.  I went to the comedian(I dont know names) because I was required to go to events for orientation week.  And he states in his "funny" act that he has no problem with being gay or straight, but he hates bisexuals. He calls them greedy and indecisive and all these horrible things and I am left sitting there unbeknownst to anyone hating myself.

The next semester I go to the relay for life walk and they have a comedian. Now remember I am living in Minnesota but am from Virginia. The comedian starts off saying that he is from Virginia so he can say it...that Virginians are obsessed with the confederacy and accused VA of not being that important in the civil war.  Ummm excuse me? We fought the whole goddamn war!

Okay, so that was a long explaination of my hatred of comedians and resistance towards fun and funny.  But my point was when I was youtubing much like my last post I stumbled onto Dane Cook, who in a two minute video blurb insulted gays, blacks and did a backhand on a rape joke pretending that he was sympathetic to rape victims when he losely compares their experience to Halo.  He talks about how the word rape should be banned just because men use it when talking to their friends about Halo...then Cook pretends that he cares saying that women wouldn't appreciate the comparison of rape to Halo.  Well I don't appreciate rape being used in comedy at all no matter how its being used.

No comments:

Post a Comment