Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Sexualized Woman Walking

A simple act such as walking down the street(or several miles in my case) is potentially dangerous for women. I decided since it was nice outside yesterday I would walk to school. It's quite a ways but I left at 11am and got there around 1pm. Not too bad. I decided it would be in my best interest to go up to the main business street and walk down that most of the way because it is highly populated. While I was walking on this street I was the target of car harassment, with men yelling things out their windows and a couple people honked. I had my headphones in one ear so that I couldn't hear certain things but was still aware enough to be safe. When I had to cross the major road I got very nervous because there was a man ahead of me who kept looking back and giving me a "coy" smile. He seemed like he was up to no good and I fell back so that I would not have to risk him talking to me. I also grabbed my mace from my purse and held that most of the walk. He eventually disappeared and that only served to freak me out more. I ended up stopping at Superamerica since I find that to be a safe place and got a slurpee. As I was leaving I decided to turn and go along a different street when I hear behind me a very loud whistle. I don't mind the honking but really. I am not "hot." I was wearing a tank, shorts and a bandanna; I was not very visually pleasing and being that I am obese this really baffles me. I understand the psychological oppression and men's desires to make women know they think they are a "nice piece of ass" but really these men cannot be objectifying and sexualizing a fat girl. I know a little too well how screwed up society and men are but that doesn't add up. Some may claim group mentality or men's attempt at belittling women.

No comments:

Post a Comment