Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hair

Alright I'm going to say it. Women have hair. And not just on our heads and in the "appropriate" places. If I was supposed to be hairless, let's see, I would have been born with the inability to grow hair. But I wasn't and most women weren't either. But have you noticed, body hair is gross, but we look down on people who are balding or do not have hair because of medical reasons.
This scandal with Mo'Nique is a definite sign of this hostile attitude to women with hair. I, myself, have experimented with hair growth as a form or social resistance but I could never come to wear tank tops or short skirts for fear of being mocked. First, as long as you cleanse, and I suggest shampoo(it's hair right?), odor doesn't permeate from beneath your arms as some may think. Deodorant is still possible and encouraged. And look at it this way, if men can get away with it why can't you or me? Plus look how far women go on their hair alone for beauty standards. We pluck, wax, shave, bleach, electrolyze, you name it women have done it to their hair. And that was just body hair. Our lovely locks are braided, colored, permed, curled, twirled, ratted, teased, dreaded, straightened, gelled, tinted, hairsprayed, whatever. We do a lot to our hair. I cannot speak for all men but most wash and go, occasionally putting in gel. Some groom longer than me, but that is rare and never talked about. Catch a man holding a styling product and many would rather have you catch them buying tampons (because at least that can be for a mom or girlfriend). Men also feel the need to defend anything feminine that they do because it is not mainstream, and frankly, many women are preventing men from making concerns for their appearance mainstream. I am not going to get into how this is homophobic because my concern is hair.
My hair has been the source of many cry sessions, death threats, and self-hatred; because as women we are often identified by our hair. As a natural brunette, I never have to worry about anyone commenting about my intelligence. No one ever says to a blond man that he is ditzy or stupid solely on the basis of his hair color. But also I have the desire to have blonde curly hair since mine is straight and brunette. This could be because I want what I do not have or it could be the deeper societal pressures for me to conform mixed with my desire to rebel. The conforming would be the blonde, since blond is deemed more attractive and innocent I would be conforming. With the curls it could be a little of both. Curls also symbolize innocence but are not seen as desirable because of their non-seriousness and difficult nature. Straight manageable blonde shiny hair is what is really desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment