Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Falling for Feminism

I occasionally lose my affections for feminism, with all the bullshit in the major and people trying to parade humanism around as feminism, I sometimes lose my passion. I hate censoring my opinions but I often feel that they may be too strong and people are turned off by how adament I am about them. But in the last month two things happened to me. I met someone who is possible more opinionated than me and I started really delving into the riot grrrl movement. I have had a passion for Kathleen Hanna from Bikini Kill/Le Tigre for a while, but she is really influencing me now. I feel like she is the closest established feminist to what would be my feminist theory. She's rather radical but she is also practical and emphasizes grrrl power over general "equality." She is my hero. Between Kathleen Hanna and this other person in my life, I am utterly motivated to do something with myself. I am planning on getting an electric guitar(maybe trading in my acoustic) and learning how to play. I started writing lyrics already, I want to perform. I want to allow myself to fall in love with feminism again!

No comments:

Post a Comment