Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Critique of Brad Paisley's "I'm Still A Guy"

"I'm Still A Guy"

When you see a deer you see Bambi
And I see antlers up on the wall
When you see a lake you think picnic
And I see a large mouth up under that log
You're probably thinking that you're going to change me
In some ways well maybe you might
Scrub me down, dress me up but no matter what
I'm still a guy

When you see a priceless French painting
I see a drunk, naked girl (1)

You think that riding a wild bull sounds crazy
And I'd like to give it a whirl
Well love makes a man do some things he ain't proud of
And in a weak moment I might walk your sissy dog (2), hold your purse at the mall
But remember, I'm still a guy

I'll pour out my heart
Hold your hand in the car
Write a love song that makes you cry
Then turn right around knock some jerk to the ground
'Cause he copped a feel as you walked by (3)


I can hear you now talking to your friends
Saying, "Yeah girls he's come a long way"
From dragging his knuckles and carrying a club

And building a fire in a cave
But when you say a backrub means only a backrub
Then you swat my hand when I try (4)

Well, what can I say at the end of the day
Honey, I'm still a guy

I'll pour out my heart
Hold your hand in the car
Write a love song that makes you cry
Then turn right around knock some jerk to the ground
'Cause he copped a feel as you walked by

These days there's dudes getting facials
Manicured, waxed and botoxed
With deep spray-on tans and creamy lotiony hands
You can't grip a tacklebox

With all of these men lining up to get neutered
It's hip now to be feminized
I don't highlight my hair
I've still got a pair (5)

Yeah honey, I'm still a guy

Oh my eyebrows ain't plucked
There's a gun in my truck
Oh thank God, I'm still a guy


(1) On the most basic level, this shows an over-sexualization of every aspect of American men's lives. It is a sad day when a man cannot look at art without objectifying women. On a deeper note, many men see drunk naked women as an opportunity for a sexual conquest.
(2) The term "sissy" is often used as a derogatory word towards homosexual men. This is therefore demonstrating the homophobia in American male culture.
(3) This is an example of how men often feel that women are their property. He is not intending to harm the other man to protect her honor, but to show his ownership. It is a sense of territory. This also assumes that a woman cannot take care of herself.
(4) Sexual Assault Warning! She proclaimed that it was just a backrub and nothing more, but he felt that he was entitled to more than just a backrub. Her swatting his hand is not the first "no" but the second. That qualifies his action as a form of sexual assault. But he justifies this as being something that guys just do. It is just a small step away from rape, which is often justified by the idea that "boys will be boys."
(5) There is nothing more homophobic imaginable. Yes, the beauty industry is flawed and not ideal for anyone: man, woman, trans or queer. But to say that someone who is biologically male is wrong to exhibit any traits deemed feminine by American culture, is homophobic and sexist. Because really, if it is so wrong for a man to do something, how could it be right for a woman to do the same thing? He states that by exhibiting feminine qualities men are being neutered by these activities and that male genitalia does not exist in feminine men or not masculine men.

No comments:

Post a Comment